Up Next

Upcoming Races:

No races currently scheduled

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dramatic Swing = Slight Alteration

Austin, Texas has been having some mood swings this week.

While I am not yet acclimated to 90-degree temperatures so long before summer, I am beginning to get a grasp on Texas weather, and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do what it's done the last couple days. In fact, I don't think this is supposed to happen anywhere. It was 94 degrees just a couple days ago. Yesterday, my run was in the 50s. Today, when I woke up, it was 47 degrees outside. 


Last night, my rehearsal went late, as we near the joy that will be tech week. This is a time when we stand around onstage for hours while people with far more technical knowledge than I will ever possess focus lights, angle projectors, and give the show the sights and sounds that will flesh it out. It's amazing work, but very tiresome, and we're going to be at it for almost two weeks. 

In that time, rehearsals will routinely run until almost midnight, which makes it awfully difficult to get up before 7, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

In the meantime, I had a bit of a practice run last night. By the time I got home, laid out my running clothes for the morning, and climbed into bed, it was already midnight. Because today was scheduled for an 8 mile run, I didn't want to wake up too late, for fear of running through the start of my work day, so I set my alarm for 6 hours of sleep rather than the 6.5 that I've been doing. This may have been a mistake.

The good news was that I woke up a few minutes before my alarm went off, meaning that it's starting to work.

The bad news was that it was freezing. I'd kicked off my covers during the night, and I was shivering. I got up and went to the closet to get a jacket, which I had not set out the night before, because I wasn't paying attention to weather. I know, what a shock. With my running clothes on, I was still shivering in my living room, and I was having some real trouble getting myself out the door, when I was hit with a stroke of brilliance.

I wasn't going to run in the cold. I was going to wait until it got warmer. Instead, I would start working 90 minutes early, making myself able to take a 90 minute break later in the day for my run, which is exactly what I did. And it was 8 miles of pure joy. Really. 

And the strangest part of all of it was that I was too warm. The temperature had gone up 30 degrees since the morning, and the jacket that I was still wearing was, rather quickly, way too much clothing. I wrapped it around my hand where it would remain for the rest of the workout. I don't know what I was thinking about during the thing, but it must have been interesting, because I barely remember the thing. I felt great the whole way, and without trying to, I ran my fastest 8 miler in weeks.

After a short arm workout in the gym, I headed back to the apartment, got cleaned up, and made it back to work in time. Even though I deviated from my routine somewhat, I still woke up on time, I still did my workout, and I've still finished my post.

And that's one week of waking up on time, a quarter of the way to my goal. Life remains good.

No comments:

Post a Comment