Up Next

Upcoming Races:

No races currently scheduled

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Finding Time

Today was quite a busy day for me. Because I didn't start my week out correctly with a Monday morning run, I didn't have any momentum this morning, and I stayed in bed until it was time to get up and work. I did my eight hours, and then I had to take the wife to the airport. This evening, we had dog training, and by the time that's done, it's dark out. I had a grand total of 60 free minutes today, and I used them to run.

Since my wife is out of town this week for work, I get full-time dog duty, and I'm really looking forward to it. We had a great training session tonight, so we've got lots of fun new tricks to practice.

This also means that any time I go running, the pup has to be crated. She's still got some separation anxiety, which means that if she's left alone she'll find something to eat. It's unfortunate, but she's used to it at this point, so it's not such a problem.

Today, when I got back from the airport, I knew I had about an hour before I had to leave for puppy class, and I had a six-mile run on the schedule, which would take me about 45 minutes at least. I was planning on running outside, though, and I didn't want to be on the roads after the sun went down. I decided, on the drive back from the airport to change it up a little.

Since I didn't get my fast run yesterday, I decided (for several reasons) to do today's 10K on the treadmill. The several reasons are as follows:

1) Still wasn't sure that my knee was better, so this way, if I had any issues, I wouldn't be far from home.

2) The treadmill run would be faster than a run outdoors.

3) I really, really, really wanted a fast run this week.

So, I ran into the apartment, ignored the sad look from the dog who thought for a second she was going to be released from her crate, changed, and made it to the gym. And then I ran.

I was somewhat preoccupied with my concern about the knee for the first mile or so, but I started quickly, and just kept increasing the speed throughout the run. I felt some pain in the knee at first, but nothing like I had on Sunday, and most of it was probably in my head. After a while, I decided to ignore it and really push my speed.

While running, I am constantly finding new ways to pass the time and make the run feel better. Today's trick was a combination. I used the time countdown that I'd mentioned before, but I also counted steps. Turns out I was taking about 158 steps per minute. Who knew?

I really couldn't believe how quickly my legs were moving. Considering 48 hours earlier I could barely walk, I was flying today. I made the 5K split in under 22 minutes, and I was still picking up speed. With about 2 miles to go, I decided to kick. With a rest day tomorrow, there's no reason not to make the most of today.

I finished in plenty of time, got showered and got out the door to dog training. I found the time today. Not only did I find the time to make the run, but I also found about two minutes in a 10K, as well. I'm only two minutes off my personal best in the 10K, which means I'm getting back into my running shape.

Today felt great, and tomorrow is a rest day, preparing for an eight-mile treadmill on Thursday. Things are going well, and I'm right on schedule.

And I guess my knee's okay.

Today's Run:
Indoors / Treadmill
6.2 Miles
42 minutes, 0 seconds

No comments:

Post a Comment